Saturday 23 February 2008

Culture based "expectations"

It's been almost two weeks after I had my last leadership class and I still remember what my leadership professor said about sense of community in western society. Everyone was rushing about at the end of the class so I didn't want to start a debate, but it was interesting to hear professor talking about the concept of "potluck."

But it was more than just about the concept about potluck. She also mentioned how American people are all about bringing the community together and be united and etc; but as soon as she said that, I was confused.

From personal experience, I always thought America was "colder" than most countries I have ever been to.

Although there maybe a strong sense of community in many different areas of United States, to overlook people individually, I feel like in America, people are less caring of each other (having less respect for human beings) and I actually believe it has to do with cultural background of different places (countries, states).

After writing this bit of my journal, I may have confused myself a little more... but if I could bring this topic to the table of class discussion again, I just might have to hear other classmates' opinion.

No comments: